Archive for June, 2009
It is just less than two weeks till my Libre Software Meeting talk on syslog-ng at Nantes, France. I was interviewed by Christophe Brocas before. If you are interested here is the interview mainly on syslog-ng.
See you in Nantes!
I will be giving a talk at the 10th Libre Software Meeting at Nantes, France on the 8th July 2009. I will talk about the new features of the syslog-ng 3.0 release especially the new db-parser capability. The presentation will be in English as my French is somewhat limited. Come and join us!
If you gonna be there at the conference and want to meet me, just drop me line.
I was lagging behind my schedule very much, but due to Bazsi’s pressure I finally took the time to backport some db-parser related changes from syslog-ng premium edition to the open-source edition. As Bazsi’s stated in his last blog post, he introduced a new release model for syslog-ng and he also published a roadmap for the next releases. The next release features my tag support patches and the db-parser improvements.
I have added new parsers to the db-parser:
- IPv6 to parser IPv6 addresses with all the special notation styles
- IPvANY to match either IPv4 or IPv6 addresses
- NUMBER parser now handles hexadecimal numbers with the 0x or 0X prefix
- DOUBLE parser to match and parse non integers
Also I introduced patterndb format version 2, which is more flexible and hopefully easier to use. Meanwhile I removed support for version 1 format. Converting between the formats is very straight forward, but I also plan to add an XSLT for conversions.
The new format has support and flexibility for couple of interesting things:
- rules for one program can be separated into multiple rulesets
- rulesets can be defined without program pattern where these act as a fail-back rule sets if no program pattern is matching or when message does not have program part
- one rule can have any number of pattern attached to it (sometimes the same message has multiple format, just think about multilingual messages)
- tags can be attached to rules (IMPORTANT: as of now tags are not considered, but at least the format has place for them!)
The new patterndb format looks like this:
login HERE COMES THE PATTERN
I am trying to find some time in the near future to add the missing tag support and provide some more details on the new format.